VOWCHURCH & DISTRICT GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
Michaelchurch Escley, Newton, St Margarets, Turnastone, Vowchurch.
Minutes of the Vowchurch & District Group Parish Council meeting held on
Thursday 17th February 2022 at 7.30pm in Vowchurch & Turnastone Memorial Hall.
PRESENT – Councillors E May (Chair), A Picton, I Chadwick, G Deas, E Williams, D Cross, G Franklin, R Lloyd, J Kernahan and M Engel.
IN ATTENDANCE – PC Jeff Rouse and Mrs L Cowles (Clerk).
- ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Councillor T Williams and Ward Councillor P Jinman.
- RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST & CONSIDER ANY WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATION – Councillors G Deas and J Kernahan declared a non-disclosable interest in agenda item 10; the declarations book was signed accordingly. There were no written requests for dispensation.
- ADOPT MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING ON THE PARISH COUNCIL – 20th January 2022 – Amendment to item 5.1 to read £800,000 savings need to be found. The minutes were then signed as a true and accurate record.
- OPEN DISCUSSION – No members of the public attended the meeting and therefore no specific points were raised.
5.1 Ward Councillor – Ward Councillor Jinman was unable to attend the meeting. His report was forwarded to Councillors prior to the meeting and included: –
Refuse collection at Vowchurch.
Drainage grant funding.
Group Parish Council training.
5.2 Local Police – PC Rouse reported that crime remained low in the area. 500 litres of heating oil have been stolen in Peterchurch recently, please make sure your tanks are secure. A reminder that Janet Edwards is still missing, please report any information. Please register for Neighbourhood Matters www.neighbourhoodmatters.co.uk
Councillor Williams enquired if the value of scrap has increased as there had been a couple of visits lately in the Craswall area which is very unusual. PC Rouse advised to report anything suspicious and include a registration number if possible.
5.3 Lengthsman report and any new road defects – The Lengthsman was unable to attend the meeting. His monthly reports had been forwarded to Councillors prior to the meeting. Councillor Engel reported issues on the C1209 at Bridge End, U74206 near C1209 junction and C1206 at Walters Place. The Clerk had forwarded these onto the Lengthsman who had given an update on all areas. Councillors requested that the Lengthsman be more specific on locations reported in his record of works.
- CLERKS UPDATE
Herefordshire Council has given an update on Fastershire delivery, this had been sent to Councillors prior to the meeting. Planning application 213859 at Evendine, Vowchurch has been granted. The Locality Steward is looking into the issue of the bollards at The Fold on C1206 and has requested an update on the culvert near Percival Place which has collapsed. The Bi-monthly Locality Briefing is on 8th March between 1230-1330. A thank you letter from a local resident has been sent to Balfour Beatty regarding the recent works on footpaths VO49 and VO82. The Clerk has just received Balfour Beatty’s draft annual Plan for this locality covering 2022/23 and will aim to get a print out on A3 for the next meeting. Updates have been received for verge cutting and the Lengthsman Contract 2022/23, which will be included on the March agenda.
The Clerk handed the Chair a sealed envelope containing the internet banking user name, password and PIN as per the adopted Financial Regulations
- CONSIDER PLANNING
7.1 PLANNING CONSULTATION/LISTED BUILDING CONSENT
Site: Coed Poeth Farm, Michaelchurch Escley, Herefordshire. HR2 0JX
Description: Proposed construction of garden room extension
Application No: 214693/214694 Grid Ref: 333346:235671
COMMENT – Whilst Policy 10 of the adopted Neighbourhood Plan covers external lighting the Parish Council has some reservations on how the degree of internal lighting would affect dark skies in the local area. Please consider this when making a decision on this planning application.
7.2 PLANNING CONSULTATION
Site: Park Haven, Rock Road, Newton St Margarets. HR2 0QW
Description: First floor extension on the west facing elevation to accommodate 1 bedroom and
raised decking area.
Application No: 220254 Grid Ref: 335528:233820
8.1 Confirmation of bank balance – £10,868.80 Statement Sheet No. 165 issued 17th January 2022.
Receipts – None.
8.2 Payment to Mrs Linda Cowles for February 2022 Clerk’s hours – Payment agreed.
8.3 Payment to Mr T Griffiths invoice no. TGC1766, roads account January 2022 (1) of £392.00 plus VAT, invoice no. TGC1796, roads account January 2022 (2) of £392.00 plus VAT – Payment agreed.
- HEREFORDSHIRE LOCAL PLAN 2021 -2041 strategic spatial options consultation – After much discussion it was agreed that Councillor Chadwick and Councillor Deas would draft a respond to the consultation to forward to the Clerk for submission by 28th February. Questions to be asked would be; what interest is this to Vowchurch Group Parish Council? how will it affect this area? how will the parishes be protected? There is a section concerning rural strategy in the consultation and it was agreed that the parish council would prefer nothing to affect the Golden Valley. It is hoped there will be another chance to respond at the next stage of the process.
- VOWCHURCH COMMON RECYCLING & GENERAL RUBBISH COLLECTION – It was agreed that the Parish Council were still not happy with the arrangement offered to local residents regarding changes in their refuse collections. Councillor Picton queried why; if highways had restricted this route as unsuitable for HGV’s had the waste department thought it suitable for an 18-tonne wagon to collect rubbish? The Waste and Recycling Officer has stated that they do not have a smaller lorry available in this area. Councillor Williams advised that a smaller lorry has been seen collecting rubbish on the mountain road near Longtown, could this not be utilised to collect from Vowchurch on the same day? It is not acceptable for larger lorries to continually damage the smaller roads in the area, especially as it has been the local council’s decision to remove the smaller wagon. Councillor Deas suggested that there were a couple of areas along the road that could be used to turn the wagons, if they were tarmacked. There is also an area near Lunnon Farm that could be cut into the bank to enable a small wagon to turn. The Parish Council enquired whether there was any service level agreement for the Council to collect household rubbish? It was noted that the nearest bottle recycling facility was at Tesco’s, Belmont. Herefordshire Council has suggested that the new arrangements would be for a trial period, how long is that trial and will there be an opportunity for any additional input? It was agreed that the Clerk would write to the Waste & Recycling Officer to express the Parish Councils concerns.
Councillor Picton left the meeting.
- DRAINAGE GRANT – It was agreed to apply for the drainage grant, which has a limit of £20,000. The Clerk advised that the Lengthsman is currently looking at areas to be included in the application.
- RESILIENCE PLAN – Councillor Chadwick advised he was waiting for details of the St Margarets contact. The plan would then be ready to go on the Parish Council website. Councillor Engel suggested including The Bridge Inn, Michaelchurch Escley as a place of refuge/safety. It was agreed that Councillor Chadwick would enquire if they were happy to be included in the plan.
- ANNUAL PARISH MEETING 2022 – It was agreed that the Clerk would contact the NFU County Chairman to enquire if he would be prepared to give a talk on the future of farming. The Clerk would also contact Escleyside Hall and Vowchurch & Turnastone Hall for hire costs and hall availability for Wednesday 11th May 2022.
- NEWSLETTER – Nothing to report.
- NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET – The correspondence sheet was noted.
- RAISE MATTERS FOR THE NEXT ORDINARY MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL – Thursday 17th March 2022 at 7.30pm at Vowchurch & Turnastone Memorial Hall – Drainage Grant, Annual Parish meeting, Verges, Lengthsman Contract and Vowchurch Rubbish & Recycling.
The Chair declared the meeting closed at 8.55pm