VOWCHURCH & DISTRICT GROUP PARISH COUNCIL
Michaelchurch Escley, Newton, St Margarets, Turnastone, Vowchurch.
Minutes of the Vowchurch & District Group Parish Council meeting held on
Thursday 19th August 2021 at 7.30pm in Vowchurch & Turnastone Memorial Hall.
PRESENT – Councillors P Mason (Chair), T Williams, A Picton, E Williams, R Lloyd, G Franklin, D Cross, E May, J Kernahan and M Engel.
IN ATTENDANCE – Ward Councillor Peter Jinman, Mr T Griffiths (Lengthsman) and Mrs L Cowles (Clerk).
- ACCEPT APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Councillor I Chadwick and the local police.
- RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST & CONSIDER ANY WRITTEN APPLICATIONS FOR DISPENSATION – Councillor E Williams declared a non-disclosable interest in agenda item 7.2; the declarations book was signed accordingly. There were no written requests for dispensation.
- ADOPT MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING ON THE PARISH COUNCIL – 15th July 2021 – The minutes were signed as a true and accurate record.
- OPEN DISCUSSION – No members of the public attended the meeting and therefore no specific points were raised.
5.1 Ward Councillor – Councillor Jinman’s report included: –
August is a relatively quiet month.
There has been a reorganisation at Herefordshire Council, some senior posts have moved on being replaced with new people intent on increasing project management with an idea of saving money.
5.2 Local Police – The local police were unable to attend the meeting.
5.3 Lengthsman report – For the benefit of new Councillors, Mr Griffith’s explained the program the team follows on a monthly basis. This has been a difficult year because of Covid but they have carried out considerable improvement to the drainage works because of the recent grant funding. The area at Bridge End continues to be a problem and is monitored on every visit to keep on top of the issues there. There are still two jobs to be completed near the Old School House area in Newton. There were move breaks in the pipe below Bank Farm, Michaelchurch Escley than initially thought and there is still flooding in this area. The Clerk advised that Balfour Beatty have drainage works scheduled in the area at the end of August and to liaise with the Locality Steward as to the nature of works. Mr Griffiths requested that the Parish Council consider emptying all the grit bins of old salt before the stocks are replenished by Herefordshire Council for the winter. The old salt becomes very hard and is unusable. This would need to be a specific task as there are many bins to empty in the parish and this cannot be completed on maintenance days. After working for the Parish Council for 3-4 years, Councillor Mason asked whether Mr Griffiths considered he had made an impact in improving the drainage network within the parish which Mr Griffiths felt he had. Councillor Engel thanked him for his work and felt it was much improved. Mr Griffiths advised the Council that he intended to continue in a hands-on role for another two years but would then like to pass the business over to the current crew whilst taking more of a managerial role. Councillor E Williams asked if they had visited the U75009 area recently and it was agreed that Councillor Williams would show the Lengthsman the drains when they were next in the area. Mr Griffiths requested that the Parish Council remind local residents that it is not in his remit to look after Public Rights of Way.
- CLERKS UPDATE – The Clerk advised that planning has been granted at Ritty Farm, Michaelchurch Escley for temporary siting of a wagon for holiday let.
A reminder to Councillors of the Parish Council summit on 14th September and another on the 6th December.
The Clerk has asked the Planning Enforcement Officer to visit Turnastone Court Farm as they are advertising accommodation at a ‘Lodge’. As far as the Clerk is aware there is only planning for a bunk house and education centre.
There are currently road closures on C1205 near Little Cefn Farm, Llanrosser and U74202 outside Marises Barn, Upper Maes Coed. Councillor Franklin raised concerns regarding the proposed road closure on C1206 at Michaelchurch Escley which is due to run from 31st August to 1st October with an unsuitable diversion route. Councillor Franklin is aware that some residents in the HR2 0LA area have not be advised of the alternative route. It was agreed that the Clerk would contact Balfour Beatty for confirmation of the date and request letters are sent to residents in the area.
- CONSIDER PLANNING
7.1 PLANNING CONSULTATION
Site: Cwarelau Barn, Cwarelau Road, Newton St Margarets, Herefordshire. HR2 0QT
Description: Proposed temporary siting of wooden cabin for accommodation while barn is being converted.
Application No: 212567 Grid Ref: 334043:231531
7.2 PLANNING CONSULTATION
Site: Holt Farm, Michaelchurch Escley, Herefordshire. HR2 0PT
Description: Proposed change of use of three barns from holiday accommodation to unencumbered residential.
Application No: 212606 Grid Ref: 330528:235818
7.3 PLANNING CONSULTATION
Site: Land at Blackpool Barn, Whitehouse Estate, Turnastone, Herefordshire.
Description: Proposed change of use of redundant agricultural building to form one new dwelling.
Application No: 212804 Grid Ref: 334909:235019
7.4 PLANNING CONSULTATION
Site: Hyde Park, Michaelchurch Escley, Herefordshire. HR2 0JY
Description: Change of use of land, erection of stable block and outdoor menage for domestic purposes only.
Application No: 212565 Grid Ref: 331504:236654
COMMENT – The Parish Council has some reservations concerning what this change of use will be used for in future and would like some reassurance that this will be used for purely domestic purposes.
8.1 Confirmation of bank balance – £10,491.17 Statement Sheet No. 159 issued 17th July 2021.
Receipts – None.
8.2 Payment to Mrs Linda Cowles for July 2021 & August 2021 Clerk’s hours, £42.82 plus VAT for Ink Cartridge, paper, envelopes and £208.00 home office use from 1st February 2021 – 31st January 2022 – Payment agreed.
8.3 Payment to Mr T Griffiths invoice no. TGC1599, Roads Account July 2021 (1) of £392.00 plus VAT – Payment agreed.
8.4 HSBC SAFEGUARD – The Clerk has spoken to HSBC prior to the meeting and confirmed they no longer need any additional information from Councillors.
- RESILIENCE PLAN – Councillor Chadwick was unable to attend the meeting. Defer to September meeting.
- STRATEGIC HOUSING PROVISION – The Chair has spoken to Robert Barton regarding available pieces of land within the parishes which may be suitable for residential development. Mr Barton confirmed he was collating information about suitable land and enquiring if the Parish Council knew of any which may become available. They discussed the Neighbourhood Plan and whilst the Chair advised of possible land in Vowchurch he was not aware of any other land available. They agreed that there was not a great deal of scope for housing in the area because of the local infrastructure. Councillor May thought the only other area may be opposite Percival Place although this is limited because of the rural location and is not included in the Neighbourhood Plan or follows the Core Strategy.
- COMMUNITY LITTER PICK – Councillor Picton made Councillors aware of the local Golden Valley Litter Picking Group if residents are interested in organising or becoming involved in a litter pick. The local contact would be happy to hear from anybody. There is also a Hereford Community Clean Up Group where all volunteers are welcome and equipment is provided. It was agreed to include this information in the September Newsletter.
- BUDGET CONSULTATION WITH PARISH COUNCILS – Please confirm to the Clerk if Councillors would like to attend Herefordshire Council’s budget setting 2022/23 on Monday 6th September from 7pm – 8.30pm.
- MICHAELCHURCH ESCLEY TELEPHONE BOX – It was agreed that the Parish Council would like to keep the telephone box in Michaelchurch Escley because of poor mobile phone signal, therefore they would prefer for it not to be adopted at this time.
- SEPTEMBER MEETING – As the Clerk is on holiday in mid-September it was agreed to defer the meeting until Thursday 30th September.
- SEPTEMBER NEWSLETTER – Local litter pick group, Lengthsman not responsible for Public Rights of Way.
- NOTE THE CORRESPONDENCE SHEET – The correspondence sheet was noted.
- RAISE MATTERS FOR THE NEXT ORDINARY MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL – Thursday 30th September 2021 at 7.30pm at Vowchurch & Turnastone Memorial Hall – Resilience plan.
The Chair declared the meeting closed at 8.20pm.